Thursday, January 26, 2012

Starting something I can't fini...


I think part of the problem with writing for me is I'm afraid of starting something I can't finish.  I'll get going on something, lit by some unseen fire, and then the fire dies out before I'm anywhere near the end of the story.  Maybe I should just write "To be continued" at the end of whatever it is was writing once the fuel for the fire runs out.  I'd get some doozy cliffhangers out it, let me tell you.

Maybe this is the case in life too - starting something I can't finish.  I could never tell a girl how I felt.  Maybe it was because I knew what to say, but I didn't know what to say after that.

"Hey, I like you..."

I know some people think that that's all you really need to say but there's so much more to it than that.  There's the response.  What will it be?  Hey, I like you to?  No, sorry.  I don't see you that way."  The worst is some variation of, "I value our friendship too much."  That's not really an appropriate response.  You value our friendship too much for me to like you?  Or for you to like me?  No.  It's one thing if the person saying it really means it.  I don't have a problem with that.  But to say it, make me think you mean it, and then not even make an attempt to be friends with me afterwards......come on now.

After the response, there's the awkward time figuring out what to do next.  I don't care if it's mutual interest or not.  You know it's awkward either way.  "So, should we date then?"  "So, can we still be friends?"  So, what should we do now?"  Capital AWKWARD.

Sorry.  Tangent.  Back to writing.

So anyways, I have two books with good starts, but that's all they are: starts.  And one of them all the credit and half the writing goes to a friend for that particular story even getting started.  I have all these ideas, but I never have any full ideas, only parts.  Or I'll have a great idea or maybe a conversation will play out in my head, and by the time a get somewhere where I can write it down, only half of it is left.  And only half of that gets written down.

I'm sure this is something every writer goes through at some point.  And I do have plenty that is finished.  But they're all assignments that I've done in the past.  Nothing that I've started on my own has ever gotten completion.  Even now, I'm having trouble finding an end for this rant of mine.  I guess this will do.

No comments: